May 14, 2013

Music is the best Medicine

Nothing more fun than being ill at the ashram.While it is 30 degrees out, I am struck by a vicious virus. Similar as for quite a few other ashramites, my throat, ears and head hurt, and my energy is low. Not just for 3 or 4 days. No, for 10 days straight. For fear of contagion I am confined to my room, where my food is being served, like I served others food before getting ill. Note to self: Never take food to others again.

So I bless the internet and watch loads of series including 3 seasons of Game of Thrones. Even better is skyping with Rita & Lieselotte as quarantine doesn’t hold in cyberspace. I sleep and rest and sleep some more and read good books while blowing my nose; like “the Rook” and “the Art ofFielding”. I see unfamiliar people pass my window, which is bizarre in our small community. I get bored and annoyed and want to do something again. But workcoordinator/first aider Jayne says with an evil grin: You are not doing anything but going back to bed! And of course she is right.

When I finally surrender, and realise that my body just needs time; I can settle at last, and start to heal. Right now my left ear is still clogged, but I am me again. I have energy, can go to hatha & satsang, do karma yoga, and most importantly: sing. On our reflection day, Noëmie and I have a great afternoon at the beach. While the geese are showing off their extremely cute babies, we sing my songs while Noëmie plays her accordeon. Later Pat joins us with the banjo and it is clear that we have to record a cd and tour in an old ashram bus that Noëmie will paint and we will share kombucha with our audiences.

When the Mishra's come to play in the temple we are the audience ourselves. Their classical Indian sitar & tabla music turns out to be amazing. They are so skilled, so devoted, and there is such a great interaction between father, son & grandson that I can only sit in awe, energy pouring down my spine, leaving my hands in a tingle. Music is the best medicine.
Noëmie playing at the Beach
Baby Geese

Sylvia's 4 year ashram anniversary. In her own words: It is normal to go to university for 3-4 years. It should be even more normal to spend this time in a spiritual community: You learn so much more...

2 comments:

  1. Bleh nu heb ik het ook, kan het toch via skype overvliegen!? liefs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oei, die Google toch :-(. Beterschap!

    ReplyDelete